(Australian Associated Press)
THE RISING COST OF HIGHER EDUCATION
Taxpayers will foot an even bigger bill relating to student loans by 2025. That’s thanks to a range of policies, including the uncapping of university places, allowing students of training colleges to receive loans, and – if it goes ahead – the government’s plans to deregulate university fees.
* Student loans: $1.7 billion in 2015-16 to $11.1 billion in 2025-26.
* Debt unlikely to be repaid: $1.9 billion in 2015-16 to $4 billion in 2025-26.
* Cheap loans: $1 billion in 2015-16 to $2.4 billion in 2025-26.
HOW MANY STUDENTS ARE GETTING LOANS?
* It’s grown by 11.2 per cent annually over past five years.
* From 308,000 in 2010 to 522,000 in 2015.
(Source: Parliamentary Budget Office)