(Australian Associated Press)
STEPFAMILY SURVIVAL GUIDE FOR THE XMAS HOLIDAYS
* Honour the old and create the new – keep hold of important traditions but also create new ones
* Acknowledge that members of stepfamilies have no shared family histories. Don’t pressure kids to feel or act in certain ways.
* Accept that perfect families don’t exist and no family (stepfamily or otherwise) is immune from conflicts, divided loyalties and competition.
* Long-distance parenting can be hard. Make sure you plan ahead and use technology to keep communication open and positive
* Know that it’s normal for life as a stepfamily to be tough early on
Source: Stepfamilies Australia